Becoming the Person You Aspire to Be: Closing the Gap Between Dream and Reality
The difference between the person you are today and the person you dream of becoming often lies in one crucial difference: the things you do. We all have grand aspirations for ourselves, envisioning where we’ll be in three months, six months, or a year. However, the challenge often arises when our actions don’t align with our aspirations.
Let’s take an example: you aspire to be a homeowner. What separates you from that future homeowner version of yourself? The answer lies in the actions you take. The person who owns their own house is more organised with their finances. They meticulously track their income, expenses, and savings, leaving no financial detail to chance. They know how much they can save down to the penny, and they’ve got a clear plan for expenses such as “x, y, and z.”
So, what can you do to bridge this gap? The key is accountability. Break down your monthly accounts into categories, and better yet, allocate a specific time slot each week to review and manage your finances. Once that slot is in your diary, you are now accountable for that time. It’s a choice — you either use it wisely, or you don’t. When the end of the month or year approaches, you won’t have to wonder why you didn’t save for each category on your spreadsheet.
Now, as someone who owns a gym, I often hear people share their fitness and strength goals. Let’s say you want to transform from a size 16 to a size 10. The question to ask is, what does that size 10 version of you do differently? They likely go to the gym more frequently, maintain a healthier diet, and, crucially, they don’t let the number on the scales define their success.
Once you identify the behaviours that distinguish your aspirational self from your current self, you’re faced with a choice: to act or not to act. Your future self isn’t just a dream; it’s a goal that you have the power to pursue.
Here’s the vital part: record your journey. Write down your goals, outline the steps you’ll take to achieve them, and hold yourself accountable. Don’t fear failure; choose not to fail instead. Build the chain towards the person you aspire to be. Remember, you get to chase these dreams — you’re not obligated to. So, don’t squander your time with negativity and unfulfilled desires. Go out and seize your goals.
Now, let’s take action together. Here are five practical steps to help you close the gap between your aspirations and your reality:
- Set Clear Goals: Define your aspirations with specific, measurable, and time-bound goals. This clarity provides a roadmap for your journey.
- Create an Action Plan: Outline the steps you need to take to achieve your goals. Having a plan makes it easier to track your progress.
- Hold Yourself Accountable: Allocate specific time slots in your schedule for tasks related to your goals. Treat these appointments with the same commitment you give to other important matters.
- Track Your Progress: Maintain a journal or use apps to record your actions and their outcomes. This documentation helps you stay on course and adjust your strategy if needed.
- Stay Positive and Grateful: Maintain a positive mindset and be grateful for what you have and what you can achieve. Positivity is a powerful motivator on your journey to becoming the best version of yourself.
The person you want to be is already taking action. It’s time for you to join them and turn your dreams into reality.
Founder- Priority 6
Head Coach- The OC Method
Author- Build The Chain
Life Longer Learner
PS: Keen to get involved, apply for our program here: