Unveiling the 12 Universal Training Truths, Dispelling 8 Big Fitness Myths, and Exploring Unexpected HIIT Benefits for Muscles and Heart Health
You want the body, the energy, the glowing skin, no bags under the eyes, the sort of person people think have their shit together! You can be! A fitness journey is a transformative lesson, that goes beyond physical changes. It’s about understanding the principles that guide effective training, debunking common myths, and discovering unexpected benefits that can elevate your fitness game.
In this blog post, we delve into the 12 universal training truths (proven by science), debunk eight fitness myths than should have disappeared by now, and shed light on the advantages of High-Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) for both your physique and heart health.
Let’s look at these 12 Universal Training Truths (UTT’s)…
- Consistency is Key: Success in fitness is built on consistent effort over time. Short-term gains are satisfying, but long-term results come from dedication to your goal.
- Progressive Overload: To see continuous improvement, you must gradually increase the good stress on your body. Whether it’s more weight, additional repetitions, or intensified workouts, progression is vital. A good coach can help you build this plan.
- Nutrition Matters: Exercise alone won’t yield optimal results. A balanced plan fuels your body, aids recovery and enhances performance.
- Rest and Recovery: Muscles grow during rest, not during the workout itself. Prioritise sleep and recovery to optimise your gains and prevent burnout.
- Individuality Matters: Everyone is unique. Tailor your training program to your body, preferences, and goals for maximum effectiveness. It doesn’t mean it’s complex, it just means it aligns with your personality and goal.
- Mind-Muscle Connection: Focusing on the targeted muscle during exercises enhances engagement and boosts the effectiveness of your workout. It also allows you to come out of the world around you and feel that powerful body you have been given!
- Form Overload: Proper form prevents injuries and ensures you’re targeting the intended muscle groups. Sacrificing form for heavier weights compromises your results in the long term. 3 weeks training, 3 weeks hurt, helps no one!
- Hydration is Non-Negotiable: Dehydration hinders performance and recovery. Stay adequately hydrated to optimise your training sessions.
- Cardiovascular Health is a Priority: Incorporate both aerobic and anaerobic exercises to improve heart health, endurance, and overall fitness. More on that one later…
- Set Realistic Goals: Setting achievable, measurable goals keeps you motivated and on track. Celebrate small victories along the way. We have daily check-ins and weekly check-ins to help me celebrate shared wins with my clients and members.
- Vary Your Routine: Avoid plateaus by introducing variety into your workouts. Keep your body guessing and adapting for continuous progress. Some people are fast adapters, some are slow, matching the programs to the person helps.
- Listen to Your Body: Pay attention to signs of fatigue, pain, or overtraining. Adjust your training accordingly to avoid setbacks. Listen to the whispers to avoid the big shouts!
Dispelling 8 Big Fitness Myths:
- Spot Reduction: You can’t target fat loss in specific areas by exercising those muscles alone. Full-body workouts and a balanced diet are key.
- More Sweat, More Burn: Sweating is not a direct indicator of calorie burn. Intensity and duration matter more than sweat.
- No Pain, No Gain: Pain is not an indicator of progress. Pushing through actual pain can lead to injuries. Discomfort is normal; pain is not. If you can’t control it, its problem an issue, theres a difference between ‘the burn’ and ‘a burn’.
- Endless Crunches for Abs: Visible abs require a combination of core exercises, overall strength training, and a low body fat percentage.
- Cardio Only for Weight Loss: While cardio is effective, a combination of cardio and strength training yields better results for weight loss. Science has shown this time and time again! But, if you love running… incorporate don’t isolate.
- Eating Before Bed Causes Weight Gain: It’s about total daily calorie intake. Eating before bed doesn’t inherently lead to weight gain, it’s more nuanced than that.
- Heavy Weights Bulk Women Up: Women generally lack the hormonal profile needed for the muscle bulking look people refer to. Heavy weights contribute to strength and bring that athletic toned look.
- Exercise Erases Poor Eating Habits: You can’t out-train a bad diet. Nutrition plays a crucial role in achieving fitness goals.
What about the HIIT Benefits?
High-Intensity Interval Training has gained popularity for its time efficiency and effectiveness. Beyond the expected calorie burn, HIIT offers surprising benefits:
- Muscle Preservation: HIIT can help preserve lean muscle mass, making it an effective tool for those seeking fat loss without sacrificing muscle.
- Improved Cardiovascular Health: HIIT enhances cardiovascular function, promoting better heart health and lowering the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Enhanced Metabolic Rate: HIIT continues to burn calories post-exercise, leading to an increased metabolic rate even after the workout is complete.
- Time-Efficient: HIIT sessions are often shorter than traditional workouts, making them ideal for busy individuals looking to maximise their time.
There you have it… the truths of training backed by actual science, fitness myths debunked and the benefits of HIIT.
By integrating these principles into your routine, you can unlock your full potential, achieve your fitness goals, and move along the path to a healthier, stronger, and more resilient version of yourself. But… if you are like 80% of the population, you may need a guide, a teacher, a confident and friend to help you stay true to your path… thats where myself and the team I have around me come in. We are here to take out the guesswork, help you move through the obstacles, we’ve been through them, we’ve scaled the mountains and know the way… constantly refining as we learn with each individual what might work, what won’t.
Join us if you want to fast track the results, waste less time and learn from a team with 1000’s of hours experience!
Founder- Priority 6 www.p6gym.co.uk
Head Coach- The OC Method
Author- Build The Chain
Life Longer Learner
PS: Keen to get involved, apply for our program here: